[TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwoods Measurents of the IC-7300

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Rob Sherwoods Measurents of the IC-7300
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 11:10:23 +0200
This is HOT off the press.

Rob has been busy measuring the IC-7300 and IC-7851.

He has both radios on the bench right now.

Last night Rob sent me the measured results.

That's all we have so far.

Normally Rob will use the radio for a couple of weeks and even run a contest
with it.

Then he will write a page expressing his personal opinion on operating with
the radios.

He has not done that yet for either of these two new radios.

I will update the pages when Rob has updated his reports.

For now this is only Measured Data.

Good News:

Both Rob and Adam have measured TX noise and given me files and pictures.

I don't yet have Adam's written permission to post his pictures but expect
that soon.

I have posted Rob's files and will post Adam's as soon as I have written
permission.

On the 7300, the data looks kind of OK, about like the 7410 or 7600, but
there is a catch.

With the older radios, turning on the IP+ improves the BDR3 significantly.

With the 7300 it "looks like" it does but there is still a problem with
overload.

Specifically, Rob writes:

Blocking measurement was limited by the ADC overload indicator "OVF"

Overload with a single signal occurs at -10 dBm

While dynamic range is increased significantly with IP+ enabled, the
overload

point remains -10 dBm.

According to Rob this is a "dither and random" problem.  It uses the same
ADC chip ANAN uses and it took ANAN one year to fix that same problem after
Rob explained the issue to them. It is a software issue, so no hardware
changes should be necessary.

I don't know yet where Rob will place the 7300 on his chart.

If we just look at BDR3, it is in the range of the Ten-Tec OMNI VII.

But that of course is overshadowed by its d&r problem.

NOW THE BEEF:

All of my information from Rob (i.e., presentations, tests, pictures, etc.)
is posted on my web in a section called "Sherwood Forest".

http://www.dj0ip.de/sherwood-forest/

And for you guys who can't wait, here is the direct link to the 7300:

http://www.dj0ip.de/sherwood-forest/sherwood-xcvr-tests/icom-ic-7300/

-

-

-

BTW, please do not order any more Barbed Wire antennas from us.

We are completely sold out through March of 2017.  ;-)

73

Rick, DJ0IP