Re: [TenTec] ICOM 7300 Sherwood Report vs. Ten-Tec Radios

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ICOM 7300 Sherwood Report vs. Ten-Tec Radios
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:00:14 +0200
Hi Terry,

Unfortunately the list is no longer fool-proof.
In fact it is deceiving.

If you notice, the IC-7300 is above the Orion and just under the Orion II.
Yet the Orion will out-perform the 7300 quite a bit in contests.
The 7300 blocks too early.  This is not reflected in the DR3 measurement.
( ROB, please correct me if I'm wrong here. )

The trouble with the list is, it ranks only by DR3.
With these Direct Conversion SDR radios, there are other factors which can
cause its performance to fall short, even when its DR3 is good.

IMO the list can no longer be used as an indication of a radio's absolute
performance.
In fact I don't think it is possible to do a list showing this; too many
parameters to be considered.

Fundamentally we need to rand DC SDR radios in a separate list, with each other.

AND, IMO most of us can leave off the list:
 > Flex 6700, 6500, 5000, 3000
 > IC-7851
 > PT-8000
 > Perseus

Because they are either too expensive, have no knobs and require a computer all
the time, or they are only a receiver.

Of the list of likely to be purchased transceivers, that places 4 Ten-Tec
radios in the top 10, beginning with the O2 at position 5.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)