[TenTec] Making a Ten Tec Corsair sound great on CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Making a Ten Tec Corsair sound great on CW
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 19:28:50 +0800
G’day

I was interested to read the recent posts about the nice audio of a Ten Tec
Corsair and how make it sound better.  Barr N1EU’s clever replacement of the
old hissy op amps in the Corsair is one way to go, but I recently found an even
simpler of making a Corsair sound glorious if you are a CW operator.

I recently acquired one of the passive audio filters that Ed Wetherhold W3NQN
builds and sells, which is based on an Arithmetic Symmetry design by Jim Tonne
W4ENE. Mine has a 3-dB bandwidth of around 190Hz and is designed for a centre
frequency/pitch of around 490 Hz, as this suits my ears. The mono filter has an
eight ohm input and output impedance, so you can run it out of the extension
speaker socket of the Corsair and either use an 8-ohm speaker or a pair of
8-ohm headphones (such as the Kenwood HS-5).

The mono passive audio filter totally kills the Corsair op amp hiss and
pure-sounding CW signals just pop out of the band noise. I also use it on my
Orion 2, using the mono extension speaker output, with the O2 filter bandwidth
set to either 500 Hz or 200 Hz, depending on the level of band activity.

I’d never used a passive audio filter until now – wish I had got one one years
ago. No hum, no hiss, no artifacts, just fabulous sound. I love my Corsair even
more now.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

---