Re: [TenTec] Replace Omni VI+

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Replace Omni VI+
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 12:26:37 -0500
Noting that I'm somewhat of a Spartan/minimalist mentality as well as being a
tightwad, my approach would be "drive it 'til it dies" (i.e. is unrepairable
or not cost effective to fix) if you like it that much. There are several on
this list who are geared toward keeping rigs like yours in service.

I think I've come out better off in the long run with that approach: I have a
30+ year old automobile with 400K miles/650K km+ on it which has needed to be
towed only one time (due to an ignition lock mechanism failure) in over 100K
miles of my ownership. In the meantime, I've seen many newer vehicles sitting
on the side of the road, on the back of tow trucks, or in salvage yards
because they were deemed unrepairable. The same applies to my older Ten-Tec
ham gear, which is more repairable due to the option of retrofits and parts
substitutions than a lot of the newer stuff made with "unobtainium."

Just my $0.02 worth, YMMV....

73, Al