Re: [TenTec] OMNI D PTO

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI D PTO
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 08:01:45 -0500
Joe,

The process is tedious and a bit time-consuming (at least for the first one)
but not impossible if you have decent small mechanical skills.

Preparation:

As otherwise noted in another reply, get something to keep the parts from
getting away, especially the bearings (which want to jump out of the race
and "race" around when the PTO is taken apart) and the retainer pin. I picked
up a slightly misshapen heavy aluminum foil disposable sheet cake pan on the
cheap at a local discount outfit; it works very well to contain the pieces.

There are several writeups on PTO rebuilding archived on the TT Wiki:

http://www.tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=pto

I haven't looked at it myself, but there is at least one PTO video on YouTube
which shows up in a search. Also, while the rig in N5ESE's writeup is a
Century 21, the process has a lot in common with the Omnis and his article is
well documented with pictures:

http://www.n5ese.com/c21_pto.htm

I have also found that the rebuild kit may not always be necessary if the
parts in the PTO aren't damaged or excessively worn: just cleaning everything
up and using fresh grease sometimes will do the trick. Whether to do that or
use all the parts supplied in the kit is your call in your situation.

Hope this helps.

73 es GL, Al