Re: [TenTec] Orion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:48:03 -0500
The display screen itself seldom just gradually “goes out”. You either get
lines or smoother missing information on the display.

However, the lED illuminator can get dim over time.  This can arise either from
a failure in the switching power supply that drives the LED illuminators or
from the LED illuminators themselves’ becoming dimmer as they age.

The fact that yours seems OK after the third screen comes up suggests that you
really may have failed part in the switching supply that allies the roughly 3.3
volt PWM power to the LED’s.

Until it gets to the point where it is dim all of the time, I would not worry
about it.

When the time comes, you can get replacement LED illuminator strips and the
switching supplies that drive them from LCDparts.com <http://lcdparts.com/>. I
have done a few Orion’s with great success and they look better than new.

Good luck.

Gary