[TenTec] Fwd: Tentec Centurion bias question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Fwd: Tentec Centurion bias question
From: Floyd Sense <k8ac@k8ac.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 16:41:50 -0400
I recently acquired an early Centurion (serial 10A10221) from an SK's estate. The resting plate current, PTT not keyed, is around 100 ma and the 3-500ZGs have a nice orange plate glow. I had read in the archives that later changes resulted in a much lower resting plate current and set out to see what the current state of circuits is in this amp. ( Yes, I know that level of plate current is OK, but it generates considerable heat on the desk that I don't need.)

The amp has obviously been updated at some point as the Filament-AC board has the new bias circuitry and the QSK board is revision C. The Filament-AC board circuit as shown in the 10/94 rev C diagram agrees with the schematic. So, I'm guessing that I might have all the latest changes in regards to bias. The question is: Is the observed 100 ma resting plate current what others are seeing in the Centurion with the later bias changes? If that level is normal, I was thinking about maybe using the Ameritron ESB-1H board which would reduce the resting current to just about nothing with no excitation. Any thoughts? Tentec has not responded to an email on the subject.

73, Floyd - K8AC