Re: [TenTec] Stuck VFO knob on TT OMNI A type rigs - easy repair

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Stuck VFO knob on TT OMNI A type rigs - easy repair
From: Bryan Lee Cornwell <blcornwell@k2blc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 18:40:52 -0400
Yep....Done 8 or 10 the same way. Has always worked for me using the same product
73
Lee K2BLC

On 6/28/2016 5:47 PM, David Perrin wrote:
        I am not a purist. I do however get excited about alternative
successful optional methods when it involves saving money, time or length of
repairs, or longevity of the repair.
        The issue I am thinking of is the slow, sluggish, wind back the set frequency a bit when you
let go of the tuning knob. Solutions abound with rather difficult repair instructions using
Ten-Tec’s special grease that holds things in place and provides the “correct”
tension with which the tuning knob operates. Wow! What a pain all that can be.
        My solution is much simpler, its done in a fraction of the time and- to
date it lasts almost 18 years.
        It began back in 1998 or 9 when a bicycle lubricant called “Tri-Flow”
was recommended for my then new BikeE recumbent bike. This spray lubricant, costing about $10
a can, is manufactured with minature silicone bearing balls within the liguid.
        Take the rig out of its case. Take the VFO covers off. As an alternative you could take the
VFO out, but I generally don’t. I put the radio over a bench with newspapers under the rig.
Then I spray the PTO mechanism and slowly gently start to ‘work’ the knob. As things
loosen up I continue to bathe the mechanism in the Tri-Flow lubricant. It will continue to loosen
the TT grease and it will drain off along with the lubricant. When the gearing is sufficiently loose
I let it drain off over night. Button it up and you are done.
        My results: it works, it lasts for years, it doesn’t require dismantling the PTO
mechanism, its’ inexpensive and it’s not nearly as frustrating.
        Or course if you do have actual worn out parts that is a different issue. My
experience has been to not need a new brass tuning shaft. Brass on brass shouldn’t
wear out. In the grand scheme I don’t believe a tuning shaft ever gets turned as much
as a clock motor before it fails, and gets the same repair.
        "Hey, Mikey.try it,. you’ll like it.”

73 de Dave in NH, K1OPQ
(same call since 5/60)

Bryan Lee Cornwell