Re: [TenTec] OT: 7300 buy back program

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: 7300 buy back program
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 13:23:18 -0700
On Mon,8/15/2016 1:03 PM, Steve Berg wrote:
Once the novelty wore off, I started getting annoyed by having to push a menu button, then scroll to a setting, and then select something like the setting the keyer speed, and do some other actions, just to do what a lowly knob does on my Corsair II and my MFJ keyer. So, that radio has found a new home.

Yes. I had an FT100D that I used in the car for a while. Another entry level radio, poor performance, and you had to go through menus to do ANYTHING.

I'm REALLY pleased with the K3 user interface -- everything you need for general operation is on the front panel, because they've done a great job of making buttons and knobs do multiple things, depending on mode (for example, Mic Gain becomes CW Speed), and on whether you "tap" the button or give it a long push. Knobs that you don't use as often change function with a push -- the Power knob also sets Compression and Monitor gain (hearing yourself in headphones or speaker). Menus are needed only to change setup, like VOX, where a mic is connected (front or rear panel), and to tell the radio to use Bias (or not) for that mic. Menus also set the 8-band EQ for TX and RX (separately). Front panel buttons switch bands, operating modes, turn the preamp on and off, turn the Attenuator on and off, etc. Knobs vary the RX bandwidth.

My last Kenwood HF rig was a TS850, and I'm using Kenwood mobile and handheld VHF/UHF rigs. I find their user interface FAR easier and more logical than Yaesu. My friends who have Yaesu talkies agree. My last Yaesu was an FT1000MP. Sort of OK, but again, way too much stuff on menus, and the manual didn't explain a lot of the settings very well. I had an IC746 for a while that I mostly used on 6M and 2M. Too much stuff on menus. My last TenTec was an Omni V+. It really needed the Plus. :)

73, Jim K9YC