Re: [TenTec] OT - Entry Level for boys

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT - Entry Level for boys
From: Jim Allen <jim.allen@longhornband.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 22:19:55 -0500
Sputnik went up in October, 1957, and lasted something like 3 months

One evening as we sat eating supper, the telephone rang. My dad got up and
answered. He recognized the caller, the Superintendent of Schools, then became
as flustered as I ever saw him. "Why, yes, he's here. I'll get him."

He gestured to me, I got up and answered the phone. My dad hovered around with
a look in his face, "there better be a heck of a good story for this!" He could
not imagine why this big shot was calling for me, a 6th grader.

The Super, W5FFE, said to me, "listen to this." I heard the beep, beep, beep,
that no one had ever heard before. He explained it was a satellite, the first
one, and he was listening to it on his radio, an SX-100 as I knew. I had been
watching the launches from Florida, none successful thus far.

A few of us had been going to Novice classes, he knew of it, and had called
some of us, each pass.

I don't think my dad ever forgot that.

Sent from my iPad