[TenTec] OT: Icom IC7300 impression

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Icom IC7300 impression
From: Katz Ajamas <ajamas.rn@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 10:08:38 -0400
I had the opportunity to tune around with an Icom IC7300 during yesterday's
CW contest. It's an impressive radio for $1400. If I did not already own an
Eagle, I'd seriously consider the 7300. I did not like the lower limit of
PBT for CW which appears to be 600Hz. I did not read the manual, so this
may be something that is adjustable. As with the Eagle, a second antenna
connection for RX would be nice.

I listened to it at the Atlanta Ham Radio Outlet. Antenna was a stubby
dipole. In addition to contest activity level there was a LOT of RFI. I
tuned in weak CW close to the RFI and also tuned close to strong CW. No AGC
pumpiing. No weak signals lost when strong came on the air. I did NOT
adjust RF gain as per instructions seen in a prominent review. Review said
to adjust until OVL light just goes out. I adjust AGC on DSP radios until I
can hear noise level with antenna at about twice the level of noise without
antenna.

It's a tempting radio. But, since it is close to a first, I will wait to
see what is next. One thing I did see is people buying the IC7300. I
suspect it will be a hot seller and lead to many good deals on the used
radio market. I will not be surprised to see them "backorder...out of
stock" in a couple of weeks.

73, -bob ah7i