Re: [TenTec] Preselector for SDR

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Preselector for SDR
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 17:50:55 -0400
Jim,

Good points, although as I look at the HEROS passpand plot -- and although
it may first appear wide on the graph, it looks reasonably close to the
preselector response we see from Collins 75S or Drake R4 receivers.  Recall
that in these receivers, a bank of moving iron core slugs establishes the
filter peak through mechanical rotation of a "preselector" control.  The
HEROS unit does the same through a "9-bit digital variable capacitor."  I
would expect the peak to be even more compressed as it's tuned lower in
frequency like on the 80m and 160m bands.

One benefit of the HEROS unit over a large, mechanical filter bank is that
it allows for tracking as the receiver's frequency is changed.  The HEREOS
unit will connect to several SDRs via DDUtil.  So, DDUtil pings the receiver
and tells the HEROS unit to tune at particular frequency.  Apart from
changes in response seen on a spectral display, the user hears no change as
the filters automatically track.

I should have mine in a week or two and I'll compare against the two old
receivers mentioned.   Although I didn't purchase mine to minimize
cross-band interference, my hope is for >10 dB of difference between the CW
and BCB portions of the 40m band.   Is 10 dB enough in Europe on 40m?  That
depends on the basic performance of the receiver.  Maybe Rick and Steve
(G3TXQ) can chime in with their input.

Paul, W9AC