[TenTec] Retirement & my OMNI VI--follow-up

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Retirement & my OMNI VI--follow-up
From: John Rippey <w3uls73@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 01:16:24 -0400
In my initial post, I should have mentioned that I have had an attic
antenna (It's an OCF-40 from "My Antennas," that was written up in QST
recently) installed for my own apartment, thanks to the cooperation of the
management, The antenna, as QST found, yields spectacular low SWR results
on 40, 15, and 10 meters. On 20, though, its minimum SWR is a little high,
about 3.4:1. Luckily, there's virtually no external noise from appliances,
etc. Don't know why.

My Yaesus and Icoms struggle/fail with the 20 meter SWR using their
internal tuners, while my Jupiter's built-in antenna tuner handles it with
no problem. Ditto a TS-990. (I have some dozen transceivers accumulated
over many years, and other than the OMNI VI that I'm reserving for the
club, I've got to sell all but one or two of the rest. What a chore! Given
the SWR at my place, the Jupiter is a certain keeper and perhaps the 990 as
well, because I like the idea of 200 watts output even though the rig
overall does not float my boat.

Of course, an antenna for the club will be located in a separate building;
there's no telling what the results will be. It's a crapshoot.  (I don't
think the management would go for a vertical.)

I'm thinking of having a professional installer climb up into the attic and
see if he can figure out why my antenna's SWR is higher on 20 than the
other bands--maybe its aluminum ducts, or whatever.

Yes, I meant "finals" not "front end." And thanks to all for the helpful
comments. This is a great reflector.

73,

John, W3ULS