Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 failure due to electromigration of solder

To: n4py3@earthlink.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 failure due to electromigration of solder
From: Joe Papworth via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 10:44:10 -0400
Maybe April 17th on the fiscal calendar...

In a message dated 10/17/2016 7:49:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
n4py3@earthlink.net writes:

I didn't  think it was April 1.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg,  NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 10/17/2016 12:39 AM, Gary J FollettDukes  HiFi wrote:

> The definition of electromigration is migration of  conductor material in
a circuit trace due to the momentum transfer from charge  carriers (usually
electrons) flowing in the conductor traces and the  phenomenon bears
characteristics of diffusion. The species undergoing electro  migration need
not
be ionic, or charged in any way. The electron flow is  simply pushing the
conductor metal out of the way.

>  Electromigration CAN NOT TAKE PLACE in the absence of significant
current  density flow in the conductor in question.

> In  electromigration, conductors migrate atomistically in a direction
orthogonal  to a current flow, causing flow of conductor material in a path
that leads  away from the conducting trace. This phenomenon can cause either a
short  circuit to an adjacent trace or an open circuit in the trace if
sufficient  material migrates. Much effort to reduce this effect, especially in
Aluminum  metallization in IC chips, was undertaken in the late 1970’s.
Electromigration  on the macro scale, the size of PC boards and associated
parts,
has never been  documented.

> More likely what you saw was solder  whisker formation, a recurrence of
what took place decades ago with low Lead  solders and which is coming to the
foreground once again with Lead-free  formulations. These whiskers can grow
due to heat, stress and other  environmental stresses, mostly in purer
metals, but can also take place in  certain alloys (no need for current flow)
and cause the formation of short  circuiting bridges as you describe. The
small sizes of the whiskers, on the  order of the wavelength of light, is what
gives rise to the whitish  appearance. These types of whiskers caused
failures in satellites and in some  nuclear power plant metering systems. The
term “
electromigration” is  incorrectly applied to this phenomenon even in
Wikipedia. They correct their  mistake later in their discussion when they
point
out that no current flow is  required for whisker formation to take place.
Current flow is required for  electromigration to take place, though the
current can be a
corrosion  current in an appropriate corrosion cell.

> They do show some  pretty cool images of such whiskers, many of them
several millimeters in  length, more than enough to cause the problems you
experienced.

> If you had a small sample of the stuff you  removed, I could send you
some nice scanning electron microscope images of  them along with their
compositions… That would take about 15 to 30 minute of  my time.

> 73
>
> Gary
>

>>  On Oct 16, 2016, at 10:48 PM, A R<raf_3@msn.com>   wrote:
>>
>> Just recovered from a failure of my Orion 565  that looks to be a result
of ionic solder migration.

>>  Orion was purchased two years ago from original owner's estate. Details
of his  operation/use are unknown.

>> Replaced snaphat battery,  A9 caps, and intermittent VFO encoder. Orion
performed flawlessly for over a  year following those measures, and was
relegated to back-up status about 3  months ago.

>> When it was brought back into service,  receiver worked fine, but no
transmitter output on either ANT 1 or ANT 2  outputs. Two master resets were
performed, but no joy. Covers were removed,  and interior subjected to the
burnt component "smell test", and visually  inspected for any obvious causes
(loose cable connectors, etc.). Discovered  powdery substance on the I/O board
that surrounded the entire periphery of  TXEN 1 rca jack solder pad
(perfectly circular around solder pad) intersecting  the adjacent +13vdc wire
conductor solder pad, with a "track" extending to  ground side (anode) solder
pad
of adjacent 5KP15A surge suppressing diode.  Removed the powdery deposit
using Q-tips and 90% isopropyl, followed by  judicial flushing with distilled
water.Gently and slowly dried with warm (not  hot) air, and after 10 minutes
of ambient air dry time, applied power. All  sytems are "go", and the Orion
lives again.

>> I have  never used the TXEN or TXOUT jacks, but don't know whether the
original owner  did. At any rate, the condition (which I attribute to
electromigration of the  solder) had to have resulted/propagated with no
externally
applied potential  to the TXEN jacks, since the condition only became
"fatal" after two years of  problem-free operation/life. The internally applied
potential to the TXEN  pad/lead is just +3.3vdc. And, the distance from the
TXEN's pad edge to the  diode's anode (ground) pad edge is more than 1/2
inch, and distance from the  +13vdc pad edge is approx 3/16 inch. Since the
deposit was uniformly centered  around the TXEN's pad (and, not the +13vdc pad
edge), it would seem that the  donor was the TXEN pad/solder.

>> Given the wide spacing  between these pads/solder and the low potentials
involved in this case, the  potential (no pun intended) for similar failure
conditions elsewhere (with  closer pad separation) would seem quite
possible. So...I guess my counsel is  to do a close visual inspection (under
magnification) of boards when  unexplain/unprovoked failures occur. Or, maybe
better...periodic visual board  inspections...or, even cleaning...BEFORE
electromigration causes a failure.  Fortunately, in this case, the condition
didn't
result in permanent (and  catastrophic) damage. An ounce of
prevention....etc.