Re: [TenTec] Amplifiers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Amplifiers
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:05:48 -0800
On Thu,11/17/2016 8:32 AM, rick@dj0ip.de wrote:
but if you didn't own a Ten-Tec transceiver, there was no particular advantage
in buying a Ten-Tec amp.

Doesn't quality matter? I've owned the original Herc, two Herc IIs, and three Titans. I still own the Titans and one of the Herc IIs. All are VERY well designed products. Their only negative when comparing to the top modern amps is their lack of automation, and to some extent, protection of the output devices.

That original Herc was the first solid state amp, and it was built like a tank. It was withdrawn as a product because Motorola stopped making the output devices. It did have a problem with voltage regulation -- the V+ supply increased as the power supply warmed up, and the protection circuit kicked in. This is a problem they would have fixed if Motorola had not knocked their feet out from under them. I solved it by adding a muffin fan to the PSU.

73, Jim K9YC