Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle - *NOT*

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wrong Product - Eagle - *NOT*
From: Kevin Anderson via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 20:50:12 +0000 (UTC)
On Feb. 20, Lee wrote:

> I have many TT radios including 9 Argonaut VI's (those are for a family radio
> project,
> 7, maybe soon to be 8 hams in the family :-), an Eagle, Orion classic,
> Corsair II and others.

So this is where all the Argonaut VI's have gone.

I would think for Mike D. to make money quickly, he needs to work from existing
fabrication, tool and die forms, firmware, etc.  That means initially either
the Eagle or Argonaut 6.  As an ardent QRPer, my vote, like Lee's, would be for
the Argonaut VI, although I realize that QRP is even more of a niche market and
the Eagle would potentially have a broader audience as everyone seems to be
convinced (by marketing and users alike) that 100 watts minimum is necessary.
Only later, when there might be more time available, and money for new
fabrication and design, can we imagine new stuff.

I would agree with much of what Rick has promoted, including repeating Jack
Burchfield's ideas - a simple radio with a bullet-proof front end.  I've used
TT Scouts now for 16 years, and they are my current radio.  Much of it has been
because of the simplistic design. Now that I am ready to replace my Scouts with
something similar, I've settled on finding an Argonaut VI.

I'm sure I am in a minority, but I've always been caught up with the idea of
modular radios - in this case by two different models, QRP and regular, of the
same radio.  The Argonaut II/Delta II (which I've never owned), the 555/556
Scout, and in competitors radios the Elecraft K2/10 and K2/100, and now more
recently the K3(S)/10 and /100.  Utilize the same basic radio, but offer two
power levels, two price points, but essentially the same interface.  But make
it crunchproof, both for RF conditions (such as in Europe and increasingly with
higher noise levels in any urban area) and for the fumbles of operators.

For me that sells, as that is exactly what I am looking for.  But start with
the QRP model, so that it is very battery/power efficient, with a top-notch
receiver.  It is always easier to add higher power output later, than trying to
start with a QRO, power-hungry design and then trim.

Cheers/73,
Kevin, K9UIA

P.S.  I am still looking to buy, for immediate purchase, an Argonaut VI (Model
539), 702 microphone, and 700-Hz filter.