Re: [TenTec] Has anyone taken off a Scout front panel?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Kevin Anderson <k9iua@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Has anyone taken off a Scout front panel?
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 22:05:12 -0400
I've done it a few times. Mike is correct. Remove the small knobs, using the supplied Allen wrench (I think it's an 0.050). Pull off the outer chrome knobs and you will find the nuts which secure the panel to the control shafts. I found that I didn't have to unsolder the mic connector, because I only needed to pull the panel forward enough to remove the main circuit board, but if you need to get at one of the switches, you will probably have to unsolder the connector.

On another Scout topic, the VFO mechanical stability is awful. Pressing on the front panel or plugging in headphones will cause the frequency to jump. I was able to improve this by putting the chassis side plates in tension. That is, loosen the screws that secure the top plate with the speaker to the side plates, squeeze the side plates together, then tighten the screws. This stops the frequency from jumping when the outer case is squeezed. I still have to solve the problem of frequency jumps when the front panel is pressed. Next time I have the Scout open I'll see if I can add some internal braces to make the VFO and chassis more rigid.

73,

Bob WB2VUF