Re: [TenTec] Omni VI testing XTAL OSC module outside of radio

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI testing XTAL OSC module outside of radio
From: Gary F <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:11:29 -0400
The 5 to 5.5 synthesizer will operate with no reference (out of lock, of
course).

The reference oscillator in an Omni VI is either on the CPU board or pendant
board on the chassis wall facing into the CPU area.

 Radio will receive even if the reference is missing, it will only receive one
frequency, and will be very unstable.  It will not transmit.

The way the radio works IS that the 5.0 to 5.5 synthesizer picks up the on the
20 MHz reference and locks.

The crystal oscillators for each band still operate with no reference, they
will just be off frequency. Thus you do not have a single crystal oscillator
problem. Each band has its own crystal oscillator that gets selected by the
data from the CPU.

If you are not getting band select data to the crystal oscillator board, look
at the serial to bus driver chip on the CPU board because that is where band
select originates.

I don't recall the chip number but it is right by the connector that connects
between the CPU and the  rust all local oscillator board.

If your CPU were dead, the display would not change when you turn the main
tuning knob so it sounds like the CPU is OK.

 my iPad