Re: [TenTec] N1 and N2 slots

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] N1 and N2 slots
From: Ken Brown <kenradiobrown@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 18:59:09 -1000
Hi Stan,

     Older version has two 9 MHz filter slots, but only one is for an
optional NAR (what the button is called) filter. More recent Omni VI have
three total 9 MHz slots, two being optional N1 and N2.

     The 9 MHz 2.4 kHz bw filter is not optional. If you bypassed it you
would be operating double sideband. You could put a filter in there with
slightly different characteristics, maybe sharper skirts, wider or
narrower. It would affect your TX SSB quality if you made it very much
different from the standard one. And since you use different BFO freqs on
TX for USB and LSB you would have have to be very careful about what filter
you used and maybe have to change BFO adjustments to maintain the same
sound of your TX in both sidebands. In any case you have to have something
in that slot, so it is NOT an optional filter.

    The NAR or N1, N2 slots can be left vacant and the radio will be
functional. Those filters are truly "optional".

     If you have a NAR button, then you only get one optional 9 MHz filter
space, and you have 2.4, 1.8, 500, 250 buttons for the 6.3 MHz IF filters.

     If you have two spaces you will have N1, N2 buttons and there will not
be a 2.4 button for the 6.3 MHz bandpass tuning IF, only 1.8, 500, 250. The
2.4 kHz bw filter in the 6.3 MHz IF is being used when none of the 1.8,
500, 250 are selected.

     All of what I have said is for a Omni VI that does not have the Inrad
modification board. I don't know the details on that.

N6KB