Re: [TenTec] Blown up Centurion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Blown up Centurion
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 09:55:20 -0700
Hi Micheael,

First, when replying to a Digest, please trim all the extra messages from it, leaving only the one you're replying to.

I don't know the Centurion, but I have a lot of experience with the Titan 425. It has a similar failure mode on a comparable board in its PSU. It the Titan, the failure is usually caused by arcing in the RF deck. And that arcing usually takes out semiconductors in the keying logic system.  So you'll need to troubleshoot to find those bad components AND repair the blown trace in the PSU. And, of course, figure out what was arcing in the RF deck.

I don't know the vintage of the Centurion. The Titan 425 is late-70s design, first built early '80s, so all the semiconductors are relatively generic discrete components.

73, Jim K9YC

On 9/2/2017 9:33 AM, Michael C. Marx wrote
Well this morning I put a strong light and a fresh pair of eyes on the power supply board. Now it
is obvious.  From where the secondary attaches to the power supply board, about an inch toward
the front panel, I can see a burnt spot on component side of the board plus one of the traces is
vaporized.   So, I guess I need to rebuild or replace that board. It looks like a booger to
get out. Any hints on the easiest way to get it out?  Am I thinking correctly when I am
surmising that it's probably a bad cap or diode and not transformer related since none of the fuses
blew?  Thanks for all of your helpMike WB0SND