[TenTec] Centurion HV Rectifier Board

To: TenTec@contesting.com, TenTec@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [TenTec] Centurion HV Rectifier Board
From: Michael Marx <sndtubes@vacuumtubes.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 14:42:49 -0500
Hi Guys,

A while ago I posted about my Centurion “blowing up”.  While transmitting (CW)
there was a bang and a little arcing resulting in no HV.  The fuses in the amp
did not blow.  Apparently there is NO HV fuse.   Well the E trace on the HV
board which is connected to the secondary of the transformer vaporized.  That
was the HV fuse.  The transformer looks ok.  No smoke.  No blown fuses.
Secondary measures 50 or so ohms across the winding .  From either end of the
winding to ground or the frame of the transformer shows infinite resistance.

I removed each cap and measured leakage and ESR at full 450 VDC and they all
passed just fine.

I measured each diode with a Fluke 87 IV meter in the diode mode and all of the
diodes looked good except for D21.  D21 measured short circuit on the board.
Off of the board, however, it measured ok.  When I measure across where D21
spans, I get only 15 ohms.  All of the resistors measure ok as they sit on the
board.  So, I’m not sure what to think about this.

Here are 2 weird things I’ve observed.  One is that D21 shows on the board
drawing but NOT in the schematic.  So I don’t know what that diode does.  It is
not in the HV string.

The other weird thing is that my board is that it is missing R41.  It looks as
if it had been there and someone removed it.

So, if anyone has any comments about how to proceed I’d sure appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has a part number for the Electrolytic cap I need to buy, I’d
appreciate that, too.  There are a bazillion of them on Mouser’s website.

73

Mike WB0SND

Michael Marx
sndtubes@vacuumtubes.com