Re: [TenTec] Quick question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Quick question
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:06:18 -0800
If I'm going to take the time to compose a reply, I'll do it for the list, figuring that others might also be interested.  I faced this question when I got back on the air in 2003 after a long absence. It may have been dumb luck, but I am VERY pleased with DXKeeper, the choice I made then. I've recommended it to many friends, and those that have said anything about it have said they like a lot too.

DXKeeper is by Dave, AA6YQ, and is part of a suite of six or eight programs that can be used individually or linked together. They are all FREE, and are supported on a Yahoo Group that Dave actively monitors and answers questions, usually within a few hours! I started with DXKeeper, the logging program, and soon added DXView, which looks up beam headings for a call (or country), sunrise/sunset, computes distance from your QTH, tells you on what bands and modes you've worked that country, etc.

DXKeeper has a nice logging window for entering the QSO, and when you enter a call, all QSOs with that station show up in the main log window. There are spaces in the entry window and the log for most of what we log, including name, QTH, State/Province, county, reports, frequency, mode, grid, zone, power, comments, notes on QSLing, and lots of other stuff. It keeps track of lots of awards, including all the major ones. It makes applying for DXCC and WAS like falling off a log. It uploads and downloads to LOTW, eQSL, and ClubLog almost automatically when you tell it to do it. DXKeeper imports logs in ADIF (.adi) and several other formats from other logging programs. I'm an active contester, and after each contest, I export the log as an ADIF, import it into DKKeeper, and let DXKeeper send it to LOTW, eQSL, and ClubLog. And it keeps track of the awards that I chase -- DXCC, WAZ, CQ Fields, and IOTA.  DXKeeper will print QSL labels for both the QSO info and mailing address on a half dozen sizes of standard adhesive labels that you can run through your printer.

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/Presentations/DXing%20with%20DXLab%202014-09-19.pdf

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/

The other parts of the suite include a rig control program that does lots of stuff if you need it (I simply use it to read frequency and mode from the radio to put in DXKeeper); a very nice "front end" for freeware RTTY/PSK programs; a program that collects DX spots that you choose from geographic areas and sources that you choose, checks them against your log, and gives you a display of countries, states, etc. that you need and that are spotted in your geographic region. I use all of those. I don't use one that looks up QSL info, or one that does propagation prediction.

AA6YQ received a Technical Excellence Award several years ago for this software.

73, Jim K9YC