Re: [TenTec] Corsair II knobs ?

To: flymooney@gmail.com, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II knobs ?
From: MadScientist1948 <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 14:11:08 -0500
Those cheap DDS devices do not use sufficient bits of data to generate the sine
wave output. This gives rise to severe quantization error, resulting in a sine
wave that looks more like a sign-ish staircase waveform.

This has a very complex Fourier spectrum, which plays out in the rather high
“phase noise”. It isn’t really phase noise,it is the convolution of the Fourier
spectrum of the DDS and the incoming undesired signals.

To make matters worse, while phase noise tends to decrease rapidly as you move
away from the center frequency, quantization noise induced noise can extend
quite far from the center frequency.

You really need a MINIMUM of 16 bits in the DDS to even come close to an analog
PTO in terms of this garbage. 24 bits would get close enough to reality that
you’d probably prefer it over your PTO.

You can get around this in a 14 bit DDS by doing the DDS at VHF or microwave
frequencies and then dividing to get to the desired operating frequency. You’d
still need a low pass filter to strip away the harmonics of the scare wave that
comes out of the divider.

Gary