Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Noise Blanker Question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 Noise Blanker Question
From: jon greenwood via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 20:23:59 +0000 (UTC)
Gary,
Thanks for the followup. I know you have more experience on the Orion's than Me.
So I had already tried both reset process'. Playing with it today with Field
day going on so lots of activity. So here is update to my original post. Every
Orion I have had I have set up with the volume very high and then turn the RF
gain way back and use the RF Gain as the "'volume" control. With this Orion 2
that seems to not be a good setup. I also had the preamp on and that is what
was causing the sweep saturation. So operator error!
What is weird is I have had 3 Orion's and still have one and on that rig it
works great set up the other way..... It only has the standard sub rx which
doesn't seem like that would matter as the issue is on the main. Unless cabling
for the rx366 causing an issue.
I am on 40 right now and can create the terrible audio or not just with those
adjustments. Do you know if the audio amp in the Orion 2 is of higher gain? OR
maybe the firmware is different enough that it cannot be set up this way.
I guess best question is on your Orion 2 if you set the volume control 70-80%
and then use RF gain dialed way back, with the hardware noise blanker ON do you
get distortion on the audio?
OK doing more testing... I now have the rf gain at 82 on both the main and the
sub. Volume on both at about 20-25% and same antenna selected for each rx.  I
am on 40 cw with preamp off for main and sub and using diversity reception.
When the hardware noise blanker is on I can hear a station about a KC up
sending cw. not the tone just in the noise being modulated on off with the cw
beat. Nothing being heard on the sub which of course does not have the hardware
blanker. turning the blanker off solves the issue.
Set up this way it is not nearly as bad but for sure is still there. I will
have to go back to the yahoo group and check but I think there was a discussion
about a firmware update that some felt caused this. If I can find an older
version it might be interesting to install the older firmware to see what it
does. Of course I may then loose the RX366.
Now I am going to just turn the NB off and work some stations! The diversity
reception with the rx366 is way cool.
73Jon