Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 intermittent fault

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 intermittent fault
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 10:27:07 -0500
There are some reported incidents regarding electrolytic capacitor failures.   I have found these to be in the audio circuits where they are used as coupling capacitors between stages.  In as much as these are polarized capacitors, should the stage offset drift in the wrong direction by only a few millivolts, the capacitor can be reverse polarized in the circuit.  The result is a slow but noted deterioration of the capacity of the component.  The result is usually observed first by decreased low frequency response and finally a decrease in overall signal level.    Replacement of the capacitor is thus warranted.   In some instances I have elected to use non-polar electrolytics of the same voltage and capacity ratings.

With older radios such as the Omni VI and Omni VI Plus, it isn't a bad idea to replace electrolytics as they normally decrease value with age.  On the other hand, if it is working..........don't bother to fix it.

73

Bob, K4TAX