Re: [TenTec] Omni V audio distortion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni V audio distortion
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 23:03:20 +0700
Hi,

I'd better close this one down before it gets too much further. So after thinking about this and coming to much the same sort of conclusion as you suggested it was time to pop the covers and make a measure on the inside. The culprit revealed itself almost immediately, in the shape of a mod. Reference the wiki at http://tentecwiki.eqth.net/doku.php?id=562pop A mod to prevent speaker pop.

Apparently a factory mod puts a 470k from pin 5 of the audio IC to ground to reduce speaker pop on first cw dot or audio. Mine had a 330k leaving all of about 5 volts on pin 5. Removing this makes for far far far nicer audio and no negative peak clipping which now occurs pretty much symetrically at around the TDA1015 limits, actually quite a nice sound indeed. The problem is of course the thump is back. It's quite a loud crump on the first audio or seemingly even between longish pauses in speech. I think this calls for a little more investigation. to try and fix the thump without killing the audio. It's possible a higher value R will work. A job for tomorrow.

Thanks again

Martin, HS0ZED