Re: [TenTec] Omni VI minor woes

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>, "'Stan Gammons'" <s_gammons@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI minor woes
From: "Michael Tortorella" <w2iy@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:55:53 -0400
Stan,

I forgot to mention I was on CW, so probably ran about 30 Qs an hour, plenty
of down-time between transmissions.  Yes, I was pretty tired by the end of
it, and the Eagle did not start misbehaving until about the last hour or so.
So I thought it might be heat-related, but really I don't think it got all
that hot and the fan was doing what it was supposed to be doing.  Don't know
how I missed "the other thread" you referred to, I have not seen anything
else on the reflector recently on this.  It's only annoying because (1)I
don't think this should happen in a properly-designed system (yes, I know I
didn?t pay tens of thousands of $ for it but you know what the list price of
an Eagle was and lots of people who would like to have one just can?t afford
it or see the value) and (2)the doggone com port problem which does not seem
to admit of a deterministic solution (you have to keep fiddling until the
com port gods have had enough laughter).  Anyway, the receiver was great, I
was hearing plenty of stuff I couldn't work because of my reduced
vacation-setup antenna - but I never did hear the KH1 guys here in Downeast
Maine and it's doubtful that will ever happen again in my lifetime.

73
Mike