Re: [TenTec] Carrier sliding across bands

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Carrier sliding across bands
From: xanthi <xanthi@skybest.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2018 12:29:00 -0500
I was given a schedule for these ionosounders way back in the mid-90's.  Using time and frequency on which the sweeping signal was heard in coordination with the schedule info, one could determine the location of the sweeping transmitter heard.

I have lost that info.  I'm sure it would be too out of date to be of use  now.  There are lots of these transmitting sites that transmit in a precise sequence with no overlap in frequency at the instance.  I'm sure there have been lots of additions and deletions.  I don't know if this info is available on the internet.  I have forgotten what the frequency limits for the sweep are.  I seem to recall the bottom was 3 mHz.

The engineer who gave me the information worked for a company that built two-way HF communications equipment that made use of the sweeping signals to automatically establish the best point to point communications path frequency at the time.  I expect it was probably used mainly by the government.

I most commonly hear these signals swish by on 40M these days.

de KY4P