Re: [TenTec] Hercules II fan noise ( Remembering Mike Hyder )

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II fan noise ( Remembering Mike Hyder )
From: Rich H <rhattaway@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 00:32:23 +0000

Hi, John!  I dug up this old comment on fan noise on the ten ten reflector:

From: Michael O. Hyder <N4NT@bigfoot.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
>> Date: Friday,July 10,1998 5:03 AM
>>
>> Hi Bob--
>>
>> My 444 did not have a clacking relay (unless you are talking about
the
>> stepping relay used as the bandswitch).  QSK made no more noise than
the
>> Omni-C alone.
>>
>> The 444 did have a fan which was not very loud when the amplifier was
>> sitting idle, but would sound rather like a 747 landing when the heat
>> sink got hot.  This fan noise was reduced by placing the 444 on a
piece
>> of carpet so the desk didn't act as a sounding board.  After that it
>> sounded like a 737 landing.
>>
>> I know nothing of the Hercules II, but it seems about the only thing
it
>> has in common with the 444 is that they are both solid state and they
>> share the name 'Hercules.'  Knowing what I do about the 444, I wonder
>> why TenTec didn't call the new one the 'Zeus' or something else to
keep
>> folks from associating the two amplifiers.
>>
>> Regards,  Mike      N4NT@bigfoot.com
Don?t know if that helps, but it may help?..
      Mike, N8TTR

Totally not in the spirit of the original poster's questions.. but I have to
say I do miss Mike Hyder.  He and I grew up together in ham radio, and his wit
and personality were suburb.. He was smart as a whip, and did not shy away from
any problems.  And funny... geeeeze... He loved CW, and knew that he was always
pushing my limits when he blazed away at 30 wpm back in our youth.. so instead
of telling me he got a new car, he had to tell me he got an Anthracite Grey
Volkswagen ... He was a huge fan of TenTec, and gone way way way to early.  RIP
Mike, you and your volkswagen..