[TenTec] Orion 565 Screen musings

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 565 Screen musings
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 11:15:16 +0700
Thinking I might keep my Orion a while longer my thoughts have turned to a screen replacement.

I've read the various bits and pieces related to ways and means to achieve this and think the option of  blue screen is quite acceptable so in due course I will most likely go down that route. In the meantime however I wonder about ways to resurrect the existing screen to some degree.

Has anyone, perhaps someone who has already replaced the original screen, done any work to understand the reason for the screen dimming and possible ways to combat it? My screen, I presume like most, has excellent contrast capabilities from total black through to completely washed out so the problem is just the back lighting it would seem. Is there perhaps a way to disassemble the lcd element and replace or enhance the back lighting?

I'm loathe to do that on my current screen with no replacement on hand. Perhaps someone has a dim but functional old display it could be tried on?

What thoughts?

Martin, HS0ZED