Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+: repairing low LO drive on some bands

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+: repairing low LO drive on some bands
From: MadScientist <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 21:22:38 -0600
Clean solder joints are not necessarily good solder joints. Pretty on the
outside, ugly on the inside...

I have found more solder issues on that board than any other Omni 6 board,
ever. Of course it’s no comparison to the solder work on the enigmatic Paragon
synthesizer boards, but still pretty awful.

Desolder, using Solderwick if you have it. Otherwise a good vacuum solder
remover works well.

I tend to not use the spring loaded “Solderpult" devices here because they
shear across the small and marginally held bond pads and peel them unless you
are really a lot more steady than I.

Be careful though, only unsolder one pin at a time on two terminal devices or
they will fall off the board, often inside the shield cans. Don’t ask me how I
know...

When working on this board, if you have the option, use a very sharp tip solder
pen. That will save you a lot of grief and will limit the amount of heat you
couple into the adjustable cans.

Gary

W0DVN