[TenTec] Model 238 Tuner Crappy Dial Cord

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Model 238 Tuner Crappy Dial Cord
From: Tom Hellem <tom.hellem@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:53:39 -0700
Hi Folks-

In the past I posted here a query asking if anybody had successfully
retrofitted a model 238 tuner with a turns counter on the roller inductor.
Having received no replies, I decided to undertake the project and I am
happy to report that it is in fact (IMO) a gigantic improvement over the
stock Tentec dial cord setup (which had presented me with nothing but
problems ever since I acquired the tuner).

The project was accomplished using simple tools and I feel that a person
possessing average skills could complete it with no problem.

I bought the turns counter for $50 off of one of the ham radio classified
ad sites.
I just did a search and found what looks like to be the exact same part for
$69 from one of the popular vendors.

I would be happy to provide a picture of the completed unit and a link to
the turns counter to anybody who is interested.

In hindsight, the only thing I might have done differently would be to
purchase a higher quality turns counter, if one could be located.

73
Tom
K0SN