Re: [TenTec] Titan Repair

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan Repair
From: MadScientist <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 11:40:57 -0500
I believe you are saying that the SWR meter in your radio reads really high to
the sir meter in the Titan. :1 is like WAY high and your transceiver should be
in power holdback with this high of an SWR reading.

If the input matching network low pass filter on this amp is not operating
correctly, you will get the result you see.

This would occur if the link between the output coil switching section of the
bandswitch were not in sync with the input low pass filter selector wafer,
located underneath the tubes.

If the set screw on the coupling is totally loose, you might find that the amp
works perfectly one one band and poorly on all others. However, if the switch
is between positions, or if the coupling smoky has lots of lash due to
looseness, you might not find any position that works properly.

The transceiver should see an SR pretty close to 1:1 when driving this
amplifier.

I do not personally use transceiver auto tuners when driving a linear. The
linear’s own input tuning is all you should need.

The only exception would be if you are driving an old linear that has no input
tuning.

Gary

W0DVN