Re: [TenTec] Orion A7 board

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion A7 board
From: "P.C. Anderson" <xtraham58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 15:59:17 +0000
If in fact that it is the A9 board rather than the A7 board as Gary mentioned
the 3 caps are C9,C6,C7. I bought caps from Mouser Elec. # 667-eeufr1h471. LOW
EHR ,50vdc, 470uf.
I'll bet the one Oll Gary has is mine that was hit by lighting. Right Gary.
Andy...W3LI

________________________________

Good luck with the A7 board…

A bad A7 board is basically the only reason to ever part out an Orion.

I have three junked Orion’s and one junked Orion II. All were scrapped because
they had bad CPU (A7) boards).

This board is almost non-repairable for three reasons.

First, Ten Tec’s documentation does little in terms of letting one know what to
expect from various test points. You are left with simply looking for a clock
signal that confirms whether or not the CPU is functioning.
Secondly, the large scale SMD’s make part replacement beyond the reach of most
repair people.
Thirdly, and most importantly, is the reality that parts are virtually
impossible to find. Even if you could find parts, some of the critical ones
hold firmware that is not available to be loaded into devices.

I hope you find what you need but be prepared for a long wait…

Gary

PS: Yes, it is indeed the A9 Power Distribution Board that suffers from the
capacitor issue.