Re: [TenTec] More Omni D problems

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] More Omni D problems
From: tfr001@myfairpoint.net
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 16:08:14 -0400
Well, I wasn't able to come up with a reed relay to replace the bad one on my
SWR board. I did, however, have some DIP reed relays around, and with a little
hot melt and some jumpers, it seems to be working. It's amazing how huge those
original-equipment relays are compared to this one.

So anyway, the rig seems to transmit consistently now... that is, it doesn't
just go away after a while, and bumping the rig doesn't seem to affect it.

On the other hand, receive is still deaf. Or I should probably say, it's very
noisy. I can hear stuff... loud stuff.... but every band is drowning in noise.
And this is interesting... when you hook up an antenna to the rig, the noise
level goes DOWN. I'm pretty sure the relay I substituted has nothing to do with
this... I checked the contact resistance across the relay during receive, and
it's somewhere below 1 ohm. And this is pretty much how it used to sound before
I changed the relay.

Any help?
-Tom N1OOQ