Re: [TenTec] frequency adj.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] frequency adj.
From: Gary Follett <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 17:02:48 -0500
I suspect you MEAN off by 0.22 KHz not 0.22 Hz?

Is it off by the same amount on all bands?

Frequency calibration of the crystal board on an Omni VI is quite different due
to the PLL used for the crystal oscillator board compared with the open loop
operation of the Omni V. Alignment of frequency of this board simply involves
adjustment of the reference oscillator on the logic board. It should be 20 MHz
dead on.

If it’s off by the same amount on all bands, it could also be the BFO. However,
this error in frequency should depend upon mode.  LSB and USB should show
different errors and CW yet another. Alignment of the BFO is in the TX Audio
section for the manual. There are separate trim capacitors for each mode.

It is quite common for the trimmer caps in the BFO to become “dirty” just like
a potentiometer or switch can get “dirty”. Cleaning is a simple matter of
lightly spraying with non-residue contact cleaner, rotate full range several
times, let dry overnight at least, then calibrate the BFO trimmers.

Sometimes you can get lucky and clean the trimmers by dry operating through
full range several times without the cleaner. Then you can calibrate
immediately since there would be no trapped solvent to evaporate out of
crannies.

Gary

W0DVN