Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585

To: Pete Ferrand <petef@sprynet.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon 585
From: Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 08:48:01 -0600
The real issue starts with the bare PC board not being adequately cleaned after
the etching process.  And most were if all were not plated. Thus some of the
etch chemicals remained. The boards were populated and soldered. This left some
off the acid etch chemical under the solder to do its nasty chemical work for
years.   Solder “touch-up” will correct some issues for a period of time but
the gremlin remains to only appear later in time.

The only correct and long term solution I have found is to fully depopulate the
board, clean it to bare bright copper, fully tin the board with silver bearing
solder and repopulate the board.  THAT IS A LOT OF WORK.    And one must be
very careful with the parts removal and installation process as some parts are
no longer available.  For these reasons, I long ago stopped repairing the
original Paragon radios.

73
Bob, K4TAX

Sent from my iPhone