[TenTec] Ten Tec 708 Mic Switch Fix

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec 708 Mic Switch Fix
From: Bernie Skoch via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 23:25:29 +0000 (UTC)
I asked here a couple of weeks ago if anyone had a source for a replacement PTT
switch for the Ten Tec 708 mic.  After about 15 years the switch started
getting really flakey, sticking in the "on" position.
Charlie WA4OSS was kind enough to reply that his 708 mic failed similarly and
that his search for a replacement produced this (thanks, Charlie):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1058560-REG/speco_technologies_mhl_5s_mhl5s_adjustable_gooseneck_tabletop.html/overview
It looks identical to a 708, and I hoped the circuit boards were identical.
The bad news is the circuit boards are not identical.  The good news is the
switch (mounted on the circuit board) _is_ identical, so with the help of a
solder sucker it was fairly easy to remove and replace.  The 708 is working
great again.
The Speco mic has the momentary position as down, and the PTT locked position
as up, while the 708 mic has the opposite orientation.  But all I did was
salvage the switch, so that didn't matter to me.
I found one on ebay for a lot less than the BHPhoto cost.  I do not know if the
element is the same, but all mechanical parts are.
Thanks again to Charlie WA4OSS for the lead.
73,Bernie