[TenTec] Orion 2 not working after A9 recap

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 2 not working after A9 recap
From: Barry Simpson <vk2bj@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 17:07:33 +1000
I have just finished re-capping the A9 board only to be really disappointed
that the rig does not now work at all.

When I switch on power, there is the usual relay clicking but the S Meter
doesn't light up nor does the screen.

I have checked the voltages and have found that the -20v on JP5 is there
correctly. However, instead of 5v out on pins 5 and 6 of JP2 there is only
1.35v.

I have had the board in and out a few times to check my handiwork. All the
caps were new with eight being supplied by Mouser and one (replacing the
100uF 6.3v) being from a local electronics store. That one is now 100uF 50v.

I have resoldered in a few places.

All the caps are in the correct way around and no smoke or smell has been
forthcoming.

The voltages on the three pins of Q4 are 13.9, 13.2 and 13.5 which seems a
little strange whereas those on Q5 are 1.36, 13.2 and 1.35.

I thought that it was a fairly simple job but apparently not.

I am hoping that one of you knowledgeable people can suggest what has
happened and point me in the direction of a fix.

Thanks in anticipation.

Barry Simpson  VK2BJ