Re: [TenTec] Tentec Audio fidelity doubt

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tentec Audio fidelity doubt
From: Carlos PECO BERROCAL <carlos.peco@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 16:48:24 +1000
Hi,
I found the same issue when I bought my Argonaut VI, I posted about it here
in the Ten-Tec list back then.

In my case, it was (and still is, as I haven't fixed it) the audio
amplifier. It might be the amplifier itself, or the large electrolytic
capacitors within.

In the meantime, buy/make a cable to get the audio from the auxiliary
connector and take it to a powered speaker. HOWEVER, please note that the
level on that connector is a blast for most powered speakers, so in my case
I had to add an attenuator.

Additionally (and only if you are young and with very sensitive hearing)
you might notice some weak digital audio artifacts there, only noticeable
in quiet bands and only on certain frequencies, or when you move the dial
up and down. If you analyze the schematics you'll notice that the DSP board
has two audio outputs: one goes to the auxiliary connector and the other
one goes to the audio amplifier. Well, in my case I found that the one
going to the audio amplifier was noisier than the one going to the
auxiliary connection, perhaps it has to do with PCB track routing. I just
cut a track and patched the audio amplifier to the "quiet one".

Your mileage might vary as we might have different revisions of the PCB,
and/or different firmware.

BTW, were you the one asking about the 9 MHz output? I have an SMA
connector in there. It works, but the frequency response is not flat and on
top of that you'll see the leakage from the second IF mixer (the one that
downconverts to the DSP-IF. Happy to take some screenshots with my spectrum
analyzer. However, the "click and tune" feature works (SDR Console V3 with
RFSpace SDR-IQ receiver).

In summary: get a powered speaker and hook it to the auxiliary output,
after attenuating it a bit. It is a very nice radio, very quiet (what you
hear in the speaker is mostly band noise, and not noise generated by the
radio itself) and I don't get tired of it. I understand that you compare it
with your 7300, but they are different things.

73,
Carlos VK1EA