Re: [TenTec] Uneven power output on omni C

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Uneven power output on omni C
From: Shawn Upton via TenTec <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 21:15:46 +0000 (UTC)
Seems odd.  I'd first check your meter and make sure it is correct, and that
you're not facing a problem with the measurement tool.
After that... odd.  I'd wonder if it was a coupling capacitor problem, like a
100nF cap has decided to crack and become much smaller in value.  Been a while
but I recall the TX signal to the PA is on an RCA.  I think you can pull that,
terminate into 50ohm, and see if you are getting a nice flat consistent power
level as you go up/down bands.  I have a problem child Omni on the bench and I
want to say I measured 136mW at full tilt--but I did not check from band to
band.
This might help debug to if the problem is before the PA or in the PA and/or
LPF's.  How it would be in the LPF's I don't know...
Lastly (or firstly) maybe poke around and see if anyone tacked in anything
special.  Who knows, maybe someone put in an AM BC filter, and it's not
correct.  Or there is a tap going somewhere, or something obviously not
connected correctly.  Just to rule out mods that were not helpful.
Shawn kb1ckt skcc 24824
    On Friday, October 29, 2021, 12:42:10 PM EDT, Scott Sheppard