TopBand: Broadcasting new and amateur related material on Ham Radio

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Broadcasting new and amateur related material on Ham Radio
From: dennisgp@mut1.muscanet.com (Dennis G. Peterson)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 18:15:25 -0500
Hi gang;  Maybe I'm all wet behind the ears; but I feel I must vent my
feelings and thoughts on the consistent broadcasting efforts of WA0RCR on
1.860 AM.  It seems to me that if we want to listen to AM broadcasting we
would tune down to 550-1600 khz.  I thought amateur radio was supposed to be
a hobby not a front line for some want to be big time broadcast stations and
engineers.  The signal level of WA0RCR seems to be well over the alloted
power levels of amateur radio operators.  How can one be consistently 40-60
over s9 when it's still daylight?  Why do we need this type of ancient
communications when it is being used to strictly disrupt communications on
lower sideband of the amateur radio spectrum of 160 meters.  Why doesn't the
FCC and ARRL give these ancient mariners part of the spectrum from 1700 to
1750 for their AM operation and broadcasting.  This area would allow them
all the space they need to broadcast their resources without qrming others
who don't use it or want it in the first place.

Amateur Radio seems to be taking a swing towards the GOOD BUDDY Network
rather than towards promoting the essence of ham radio and proper
communication standards.  It seems that there are a few who are adept
towards getting all the so called cb'ers on VHF with the no-code licensing
and then getting them to memorize a few test questions just for the mere
fact of promoting growth in the sales of new amateur radio transceivers.
Granted everyone needs to make a living; but good grief why at the cost of
causing deterioration to the amateur bands over poorly regulated promotional
efforts?

Is there anything that can be done to put an end to some of these rediculous
ideas and broadcast practices?  I'm not an old timer, although; I've been
around the bands for nearly 21 years now and I feel that any information I
may want or desire concedrning the ARRL, QST, CQ or anything else relating
to amateur radio I can READ IT IN THE MAGAZINES.  I don't need some want to
be jaming and or qrming the frequencies that I enjoy using with PRE-TAPED
RECORDED MESSAGES OF THE SAME TAKEN FROM THESE SAME MAGAZINE OR ARRL/FCC
BULLETINS IN AUDIO FORM.  It seems to me that someone has gotten high on
drugs in allowing such a practice to even get started, I wonder if the rest
of us could get on the bands not only on 160 but 10-15-20-40 and 80 meters
as well and broadcast these messages in tape recorded format there as well?
Sorry for the placement of this topic on the reflector; but it does get
aggrevating and frustrating to say the least. N7CKDennis/0
***************************
*N7CKD/Dennis G. Peterson *
*1815 Mulberry Avenue     *
*Muscatine, IA 52761-3554 *