TopBand: LORAN A on 1850

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: LORAN A on 1850
From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 10:30:10 -0800
At 06:20 AM 9/15/96 UT, you wrote:
>Termination of LORAN A system in Japan:
>
>According to the Maritime Safety Agency Information, 7 remaining stat
>ions of LORAN A
>navigation system in Japan will stop transmitting at March 10, 1997.

>Has the LORAN signal been useful as the pilot for JA opening from US
>or Europe?
>
>73, Watt, JA0DAI

Watt,

Very glad to hear that noisemaker is going off of the air.  Maybe you JAs
can now get some more frequencies in the 160 meter band.  That Loran was
very bad here - it was even audible to 1830 or below and covered up too much
DX.  It would come in way before band was open to JA, so it was not a good
indicator for us.  I think this was because one station was located on
Minami-Torishima which has about one hour earlier sunset than JA.

                                        73, Dan KL7Y