TopBand: receiving antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: receiving antennas
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:29:54 -0500
The current thread of EWE's, Beverages and other receiving antennes has
neglected one important point. If you have the room to use a Beverage, do
it. If you have to compromise, the loop, EWE's or shortened rx antennas are
a compromise. They are not going to be an optimal antenna. (I know this is a
debatable statement. However, when in doubt, I favor Beverages.)

In Oct 83 73 Magazine, K1VR and N1RC had a neat article about a shortened
Beverage that would fit on Fred's lot. I suggest you who are
"environmentally challenged," read it. Fred and Bob have some good ideas on
how to make a "Beverage like" antenna work.

I also recommend Misek's book on Beverages. Vic gives you a very good model
for one and two wire Beverages.

Tom, W8JI, mentions short verticals. Years ago in Ohio, he had an array
located 1 mile away from the shack. I remember many interesting
conversations about this antenna. KD9SV, K9UWA and W7EL published an antenna
idea that should be explored by some in ARRL's Antenna Comp Vol. 3. They
cobbled up a 4 square rx antenna array using loaded verticals. It fits on a
small lot and according to my conversations with Gary, it works.

Finally, LPL's suggestion that your rx antennas be as far away as possible
from your xmit antenna should be heeded. My two main rx antennas, NW and NE,
are in the near field of my xmit antenna. While they work, if possible, I
will relocate them at least 500' away this fall from the big vertical.

73 all

Craig NX1Guano
                        Craig Clark, NX1G
                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461