TopBand: INV V L vs INV. VEE

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: INV V L vs INV. VEE
From: al7mx@juno.com (kevin g forster)
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 02:41:08 EDT
Hello all, after reading a couple dozen replies on this subject ( The
inverted L vs Inverted Vee, I thought I would share some food for thought
of my own.  I'm not going to quote any studies or spout any formulas here
, just simple observations that I have made, and some observations you
can make on your own as well.
I use an inverted L with about 70' of vertical and the rest horizontal,
the ground system is 100 radials from 75 - 140 feet long. I would say
this is a "good" ground not a "great" ground. The real gound in this part
of Alaska is "crappy" at best, I am on about 300' of gravel/sand.
Now for the Inverted Vee - Dan, KL7Y is about 6 miles from me on the same
ridge overlooking the same inlet and roughly at the same elevation, The
apex of his Vee is at 145' a very decent height! I would have to say that
overall the Vee at KL7Y's hears better than my Inv. L . There are times
when the difference between the two is amazing, some nights the L is hot-
others the Vee is hot. My point is that these two antenna's are nearly at
the same geographic location. So listen for yourself next contest or when
the band is open from Alaska to you. You be the judge, I believe that
each one of these antenna's i have mentioned are considered to be in the
good to very good class. Make up your own mind - all you have to do is
listen for AL7MX and KL7Y - now that you know what we are using you can
form your own opinions.
                     73' and best dx !      dit dit      kevin AL7MX