TopBand: UA0KAG QSLs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: UA0KAG QSLs
From: lcpvt@together.net (Ralph W1ZK)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 08:42:04 -0700
Jon K. Jones wrote:

> A possible solution to QSLing UA0KAG
> is a be a QSL manager. If UA0KAG could
> send his 160M logs via HF radio or internet
> to a dedicated TopBand op, they in turn
> could confirm his TopBand QSOs. I would
> be willing to help out.
> Jon NO0Y
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/topband.html
> Submissions:              topband@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  topband-REQUEST@contesting.com
 Thanks for the note. There are so many Toms out there these days that
I'd love to see them all get a manager. I received a note from 7X5JF a
couple of weeks ago. He now has to receive his mail through his parents
address so that the mail does not go through the local postal service in
the capital city of Algiers, where he lives. All his mail was being
opened and the contents removed. Remember the Aves Island operation a
couple of years ago when they were having trouble getting mail through
their address in Caracus and had to resort to a mail drop in Florida.
This past years LU6Z operation, more trouble with the stated address.
  The point is that we are applying bandaids to a bigger problem, the
epodemic of mail theft. The International Postal Union seems powerless to
do anything about the problem (yes, they KNOW about it.) Some people talk
about registered or certified mail (this is the IPU's suggestion) but
again it's a bandaid.
  There has to be a better way. The XR0Y, Easter Island and the upcoming
XZ1N, Myanmar operations with E-Mail QSL request lines are good examples
of where we should be going. But, how do we help all the UA0KAG & 7X5JFs
out there. Should we be looking for E-QSL managers? In a couple of years
will there be an E-Mail GOLIST instead of postal addresses? Personally, I
hope so, the sooner the better.
  Again, thanks for the note Tom all the best for the 96-97 season.

                                  73's,    Ralph, W1ZK