TopBand: Heard Is 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Heard Is 160
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:21:06 -0700
Dan Robbins wrote:

 For many of us, working
> Heard on 160 is certainly possible, but with very limited openings and stiff
> competition it's not going to be easy.  Good luck.
>
>                                 Dan KL7Y

You got THAT right, Dan!

Your idea for HI to listen for NA where the Euros cannot tread is
EXCELLENT. There is no way in Hell most of us in NA will get through a
wall of unruly Euros (or a wall of friendly Euros), even if we had the
suds!

I have been sulking over the auroral oval since the first time I looked
at HI on a map. From the Left Coast, SP and LP are both essentially over
a pole, through the auroral zones. In fact, since I am blocked on SP by
my canyon wall, I am very pessimistic about getting through AT ALL on
ANY band. I recall that the Peter I DXpedition worked very few JA's on
any band--about 600 or so TOTAL QSO's out of -what-50K Q's? (If the
numbers are not quite right, hold the flames).
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer