TopBand: W1BB

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W1BB
From: shapird@meol.mass.edu (Dennis Shapiro)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 21:46:41 -0400 (EDT)
I don't know whether we shall have a new W1BB, but while W1BB is
uniquely Stew Perry I want to share with you my all-time favorite QSL
card.

On June 11, 1977, after being licensed for 30 years, I finally put up an
antenna that would work on topband and was QRV.  It was 2125GMT, which
was 5:25pm local, and there were no stations to be heard.  I called CQ
and back came W1BB/1.

We exchanged reports, etc.  Stew said he was operating from his summer
QTH in Harrington, Maine.  I told him that this was my very first 160m
QSO.  He came back with a congratulations and commented that this was
special and needed something special in commemoration.  During the QSO,
we discovered that we were both MIT graduates.  We signed and I
felt exhilarated at the warm welcome from Mr. Topband, himself.

A few days later I received in the mail a hunk of birch bark, roughly 6
1/2 by 3 1/2 inches.  It was written in longhand on both sides:

                                        Harrington, Maine
                                        Villa Mon Repos

        QSL
           to  W1UF--Dennis
                YOUR FIRST EVER 160 QSO

                        W1BB/1  Maine

        June 11, 1977   2125 GMT   1.8MHz  RST 5 6/7 9

                Congratulations and Welcome
                        to 160--Happy Times

                                73 de Stew,  MIT '26

The reverse side:

        This QSL Grown on
        my Farm--Villa Mon Repose
        25 Acres of much woods.

                73!  Stew

                Hope you Always
                Enjoy 160!!

I've had this mounted between two pieces of plastic, 6x9 inches, with a
spacer in-between so as to protect the bark.  It is one of my proudest
possessions.

Dennis, W1UF