TopBand: 160 Magic: Right Place--Right Time

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 Magic: Right Place--Right Time
From: btippett@ctc.net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 08:40:55 -0400 (EDT)
K0HA wrote:

>  Tonight has been a struggle from the center of the states,
>particularly hearing the east coast having an easy time.  The high
>static level didn't help either.  Most European and Asian (4X4NJ)
>stations were around the noise level.  Africa was a bit better.
>I didn't hear much stateside activity further west...
>
>  Then at 0420Z (20 Oct) I heard a loud CQ.  I was surprised to find
>the call was SP2WDM.  He was 579 and I was his only caller.  However,
>by the end of the QSO at 0424 he was down to 349.  I later heard him
>recover to 559, but the "right time" was over and he never regained
>"local strength..."

        It was an excellent night from the East Coast which was probably
caused by some enhancement from flares.  I first noticed a slight raspy
sound to SP2FAX's signal around 2358 which usually indicates some Aurora.
Later, I noticed W4DR's signal sounded extremely hollow although we are
only a few hundred miles apart.  I checked WWV at 0418 and the A-index
was 29 with a K of 4, so I think some sort of enhancement was going on.
>From looking at the spots reported, I think it would have been possible
to simultaneously work WAC around 0330 with EU, NA, 4X4NJ, 9Y4H, KH6CC
and D44BC all on the band at about the same time.

        Other goodies worked or heard were IS0PDW, SV9/DJ4TR, 9K2MU, RZ6HW
and JY9QJ (he could not even hear EU calling him...must have had local QRN).
IS0PDW was running 80 watts to a dipole and F5LGE told me he was running
50 watts after I gave him a 599.  I seemed to have a little advantage
over the Northeast so I guess it was the "right time" to be a little
south which often happens when conditions are disturbed.  Still waiting
for that "magic" night when EW, EX, UK and UN start coming through!

                                        73,  Bill W0ZV