TopBand: KC6 for East Coast

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: KC6 for East Coast
From: wv5s@icon.net (wv5s@icon.net)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 08:21:43 +0000
I find it difficult to believe that people continue to broadcast
these kind of statements on the reflectors for the world to see,
especially people who should know better.  I really wonder why.

Anyone who has kept up with this operation knows that Coy, N5OK, is
the low band operator and had sent out several messages prior to this
operation.  The day before departure, he severely injured his back
lifting the gear for this trip.  He called to see if I could go in
his place, which I could not.  He chose to board the plane wearing a
large back brace and sit in airplane seats for over 20 hours plus
spending overnight in Guam.  After arriving in Belau (Palau), he had
to ride in an open boat to get to Koror since the suspension bridge
collapsed a few weeks ago.  His equipment did not arrive until the
next day.  This required another trip to the airport (two boat rides
with equipment on the return).  His TS-940 was almost destroyed when
he got it.  The operating room is on the third floor of a walk-up
hotel.  Antennas are on the roof and tied to nearby palm trees.

Coy has been restricted to bed with severe back pain since getting
 the equipment to the hotel. He has a swollen disk. He has not been able
 to operate because he cannot sit in a chair more than 15 minutes due
to the pain. He is extremely disappointed and is wondering about the
 trip back home.

Having been to Belau twice with Coy and Dave, N5CG, let me explain
the operation.  Dave is a world class contest operator.  His life is
"high QSO rate".  He is there to work everyone in the world at least
three times and does a great job of it.  He does not have the
patience for the low bands.  This would have made a good balance with
Coy.  Dave is working some 160/80m which is great.

The only contact I want from them is on 160m myself but I have not
heard them.  I only know of one Oklahoma station that has worked
them.  I hear some zeros working them this morning.  So, I wonder
about the basis for your statement Garry.

These fellows totally funded the thousands of dollars for this
operation without any contributions from anyone such as NCDXC and
provided all their own equipment.

I have a couple of suggestions Garry.  Maybe NCDXC will fund a
DXpedition to Belau so you fellows can do it your way.  Secondly, if
you have comments about Coy's operation, perhaps you will want to
make them face to face when he returns.

Jim Hood, WV5S (KC6SS)
President, Oklahoma DX Association